Monday, September 14, 2009

Choosing the Correct Font

A graphic designer (new to the field) recently asked me this question:

  • "I'm a self-taught web designer who has also spent time getting up to speed with graphic design methodologies. One problem I'm having is how to determine which typeface is best to use for a given project. I realize that weight, style, etc. are involved, but what should be considered. TIA."

This is my response to him. Hopefully you will find it helpful as well!

Each designer has different ideas on choosing typefaces for a certain project. These are some basics that get me started on a new project.

One thing that helps me is having an easily accessible sample of all my fonts so I can quickly peruse the large number of fonts. Using different and new fonts ensures that I am keeping my designs fresh and new. I use AMP Font Viewer to help with the organization of my fonts.

The font choice(s) should reflect the company/piece that you designing for. A tool company isn't going to want to have a script/flowy font throughout their piece because the company is trying to portray strength and durability. The preferred style of the company should also be considered. If a company prefers a modern/contemporary look, then you aren't going to use an old world Typeface with a lot of fine detailing.

Also, if you are going to use multiple fonts in one layout, a general rule is to use a block type font with a serif type font. If you use two of the same "styles" of font, it actually makes it look more cluttered and hard for the eye to take in.

As point size goes, keep your fonts sizes in factors of each other. If your header is an 18 point, and your small header is a 15 point, then do your paragraph in 12 or 9 (factors of 3). Factors of 2 work nicely also. Don't have fonts that are a point or closer together (like a 10 and 11 point) on the same publication. Our eyes like a larger differentiation.

Those are a few basic guidelines that are hopefully helpful. Your creativity and your eye can help you determine what looks best for the piece that you are working on. Sometimes rules will be broken to make a piece more successful but it always helps to know the basics.

No comments: